Thursday, February 22, 2018

SSW 7780, Part II

I made a few modifications to an Atlas B30-7 decorated for Cotton Belt a couple years ago and posted the results on my blog here. The prototype had the distinctive "L window" but the model did not. I figured I could come back later and cut the window in. Or replace the cab with one from an Atlas Southern Pacific U33C (I used the rest of the shell for a U33B). After giving it some thought, I went with a replacement cab. That left me with an extra cab all modified for SP (more later).

The modifications to the cab were pretty straightforward: cut in base plate for the air conditioner, add an antenna ground plane, change the headlight housing from squared to rounded and add the UDE light riser. I believe there is a cast part for the gyralight and UDE on the rear of the locomotive, but I made my own from styrene. I created a drawing based on some great detail photos posted on Harry Wong's pbase gallery. In fact, although I've never met Harry in person, I have learned so much from what he's posted online over the years. Cheers to Harry!

Here's the UDE and gyralight mount drawing:



And here are the in-progress photos of the B30-7:







After all was said and done I had a detailed cab leftover from the B30-7. What to do? How about a B36-7...

No comments:

Post a Comment