Thursday, July 18, 2019

Kenworth W900A Aggregate Haulers

Athearn has made Freightliner cabover and Kenworth conventional semi-tractors for decades. Some years ago these were incorporated into the RTR line with new details such as mirrors, visors, windshield wipers and much better wheels and tires. The upgrades are nicely done and make excellent models that fit in well with other HO scale vehicle models.

I have always admired the quality of the tooling that has produced beautiful castings of these models over the years, in particular the cabs and grilles. Since I was a kid I have built many models using the Freightliner as a starting point, transforming it into a SBFA straight truck and a daycab among other conversions. When I stumbled across a couple cabs with grille sprues on eBay it occurred to me I hadn't taken on the Kenworth.

So the idea here was to use the best parts of the Athearn model (the cab and grille) and replace everything else either by scratchbuilding, substituting aftermarket parts or 3D printing new parts. The frames were scratchbuilt from Evergreen Scale Models no. 263 styrene channel and 0.040" x 0.080" styrene strip for cross members. I also used Plano Model Products no. 352 Chrome Tipped Mud Flaps, no. 375 Kenworth T600 Mirrors, and no. 369 Diamond Plate Crossover Platforms. The etched exhaust heat shields are from Masterbilt Models.

Several 3D printed parts were used on these models. I had already designed several variations on wheels and tires. I selected aluminum wheels with beauty caps over the hubs for these models. The suspension and Holland fifth wheel parts had already been designed and printed for upgrading several Lindberg Ford CL9000 daycab models, so I used spares from that project here. Over the course of this project I created new Kenworth steps and air breathers, hydraulic tanks, and different sizes of fuel tanks.

The paint scheme for these trucks is heavily inspired by local company McRyan Hauling, whose distinctive pink Peterbilts are very eye-catching.













No comments:

Post a Comment